Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The comfort of insignificance

Ocean. Maybe it's because I didn't grow up knowing the ocean that it holds such appeal to me. Or perhaps something of such vast dimensions holds an aura of intrigue for anyone lucky enough to experience it. For some, the endlessness of the sea, the abyss of the sky, the vastness speaks of those things beyond human control and the feeling of powerlessness is terrifying. I, on the other hand, am calmed by this lack of control, for without control there can be no responsibility. I'm submissive, you might say, to the infinite possibilities of the uncontrollable. Putting myself at the mercy of the ocean or sky, when everything is beyond my control, this is one of the few times when I can truly relax. The crash of waves reminds me of the earth's indifference to individual life and this is somehow comforting. Our pain, our joy is abut an infinitely small piece of the whole of existence and this thought makes the unbearable bearable, the joy more precious.

No comments: