Monday, April 20, 2009

Cold Calls

I got a cold call today from the Democratic National Committee, looking for donations. After reading the scripted rant about the failings and vindictiveness of the Republican party (how they ruined the economy are refusing to help fix it because they want to see the Democratic administration fail), I kindly but firmly let them know that they had this whole pitch wrong. First, the call came up as Unavailable; bad idea. Unavailable call asking for my bank account sounds like a scam to me. Second, assuming this wasn't a scam but simply a poorly designed funding campaign, the people who voted for Obama are not likely to want a bi-partisan pitch about how the other side is wrong. We voted for change (yes I know how cliche that has become), we voted for a government that would work together, for an administration that would cross party lines as well as social lines, working with the Republicans and foreign dignitaries rather than against them. Once I corrected the poor man's script, I explained that for these two reasons, I would not be likely to donate money to this campaign for the simple reason that his script outlined exactly the type of government I do not want.

However, I did get some humor out of the conversation. While looking for another page in his script, he attempted to be conversational, asking me "How was the skiing and snowboarding in Bozeman this winter?" My response had myself and a co-worker grinning like fools. "I wouldn't know, as I spent my winter in the Middle East."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sonya..this guy had it coming, and what a great ending!!