Friday, November 18, 2011

Bike lanes

Disclaimer: Mom, don't panic. I'm fine. Oops, that probably doesn't help.

When I first arrived here and was biking to campus to meet professors, etc., I was constantly warned about biking in the city. One of my professors saw my helmet, practically shuddered, and commented that at least I had the helmet and to be very careful. I shrugged off their comments as those of people who don't bike and only hear the horror stories. I saw billboards for bike activists trying to improve biking in the city and figured I don't have time to take up another cause at the moment and they are probably exaggerating.

Fast-forward a month (which I suppose is rewinding a month now as I write this belatedly). I headed out of the house on a rainy day expecting to take the T (public transit = T) to work but when I stepped outside the rain let up and it was actually fairly nice. I knew if I went back inside to grab my helmet the rain would return because that's simply how life works, so I decided in a moment of haste to forgo the helmet just that once. Of course, I was nervous as hell biking to and from work even though there are bike lanes along my entire route. I simply don't trust drivers.

So the end of a long day I'm heading home, in the bike lane, and of course now it's rainy and wet and cold. I'm distrustfully watching traffic like a hawk but that does me little good when the driver of the the SUV parked along the bike lane, who must have been just hanging out in his car for a while, opens his door at the last possible second before I pass by. My bike hits the V made by the door and his car, and my momentum plus the force of the door opening throws me into the car lane where I landed rather painfully on my knee. Thankfully, no cars were currently careening past and a couple good bruises and surge of aggression were my only ill effects. The second of which waned upon returning home and pouring a glass of whiskey.

A week later on a bright and shiny day I'm late for a meeting at work and biking as fast as I can when the door of a parked cab opens unexpectedly. The problem with cabs is that in the time it takes the passenger to pay before exiting, any bikers coming upon it don't have the visual ques of seeing it park or flashing tail lights to note that someone might be exiting the vehicle. So the passenger opens the door right across the bike lane and I swerve nearly enough to avoid it. Nearly. The door caught the handlebar just above the grip, shattered my gear shifter and ripped the grip clean off. Again, I found myself sitting on the road, though in the bike lane this time. I wasn't hurt, having had enough time to almost stop and only being clipped by the door. In fact, I remember scowling and mumbling "seriously?" as I gracefully landed on my ass. A passerby picked up my grip and I replaced it, not noticing how badly damaged the shifter was at first. The taxi driver very sincerely grasped both my hands and asked me repeatedly if I was ok, apologizing at least three times that I recollect. He was so concerned I couldn't really be mad. I picked up my bike and rushed off but was still in earshot to hear the driver begin chewing out his passenger. I hope he had already been tipped.

I'm even more careful while biking lately. And now I wonder at the logic of bike lanes that don't extend past the reach of an opening car door. However, I'd still rather bike than take the T or walk, or deal with driving in the city. So, *shrugs*. And as a side note, here's a picture of my bike. I've cleaned it up a bit since this picture, so imagine less rust.

No comments: