Thursday, February 11, 2010

Chasing passions and buying shoes

Aberdeen, WA

I love the rain. I hope I will always love the rain. I have long since accounted my near spiritual emotion towards rain to having grown up in the plains of Montana when rain was scarce to the point of being nearly non-existent. I've always especially loved that rain that drenches you, the road, and leaves puddles to jump in. Today, however, I'd trade my left shoe (I have a few extra pairs) for a dry, sunny day tomorrow. See the problem with rain is that it makes it difficult to take pictures. My camera doesn't like the idea of getting soaked, even if I don't mind for myself. I drove down the coast along the Olympic Peninsula today, enjoying the view but unable to take many pictures.

I've rambled before about how I've been chasing my passions. Until I was 24 years old, I always had a goal, a plan. It changed, but it was always there, along some distant path. Once I left on my trip abroad, I had no plan. I had accomplished my current goal. And since then, I've been searching, groping in the dark, for an inkling of an idea as to where I am going. I keep trying to remind myself that the biggest changes in my life have come from the simplest decisions (going shoe shopping for example). The frustration often builds, however.

No comments: