Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas in the desert

We had another hash this weekend, at a simliar site closer to Aleppo. Someone brought Santa hats for everyone, and we set out; a group of twenty-ish people, mostly adults and one dog, wandering around sweeping fields of grey poreous rocks and a ruined city wearing santa hats. Including the dog. This site was somewhat more intact than Bara, with some full caves and rooms still whole. Justin, Yasim and I wandered into one of the caves, dug out of the stone. It was a square room about 15ft wide, long, with the ceiling slightly above my head at its lowest so around six feet high. There's a picture posted on the web album (link to the right). Justin made friends with a horse, who then became the Christmas mascot when Justin betrayed this new friendship by putting his Santa hat on the poor beast. Mr. Ed didn't seem to happy about this turn of events, but put on a good show.

Jakoba and I went back to town and went shopping, still wearing our hats. I had forgotten about mine until a small girl pointed and laughed at me in the store, and her mother hushed her and rushed her past me. All I could think was that walking around town in a Santa hat was something my mother would do. I suppose I get more from her than her clumsiness and athletic ability, I picked up the lunacy gene as well. <3

No comments: